I haven’t talked about work so much because I don’t see the need really. I’ve been desperately trying to remove myself in a lot of ways from the whole work thing and in essence just do my job and nothing more.
It sounds really easy and it should be but navigating some personalities can be like picking your way through a minefield. Yesterday, Monday… coming into the week, I had made a very halfhearted attempt to get some work done over the weekend but then rethought that bad impulse and kept things to an incredible minimum although I found myself sleeping away the weekend nonetheless.
I’m not too happy about that… the whole losing a summer thing due to work. This is the time of year to be outside, to enjoy the weather and honestly I’ve been locked in for the most part for months. June flew by but then that was the odyssey of doctors and dentists. I got a tooth done, got a root canal and did the whole toe roller coaster while still managing to get work done and have them not notice.
I took a week off in July but it didn’t work out as nicely as I would’ve liked but it’s always good to be off.
Here we are in the middle of August and I feel the summer is gone and it slipped away!
Circling back to work though… at this point, I’ve been through all of this before and I’m at the point where I simply don’t want to battle about anything. In some ways though, I get the sense at times that the person I work with wants conflict, looks for conflict and derives some kind of enjoyment from it.
Yesterday, I had something come back to me and really at this point I get told not to change anything so even if it looks wrong, has bad typography, has an unbalanced layout or just looks shitty I’m not changing anything. I really DON’T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT IT! And the truth of the matter is? No customer will notice anyway so why exert emotion over things that are so inconsequential.
Anyway, they sent over something and it was fine as far as I was concerned but the other person found something she didn’t like so BONK there was that teams noise early on letting me know. And I see she’s just not sure and at the same time there’s a bit of chastising because I know the whacky creative need to lift his leg and pee on something just to mark it so rather than have it go to him, I do what I know to be wrong and shift bullets to the end of lines.
This was something I saw last go round and the other person kept telling me it was right (because she had been the one doing it that way) when I knew different. And I sent her a bunch of stuff and moved bullets where they were supposed to be and as soon as I was gone she started moving them back and talked to a creative and had him buy in on it.
So, rather than have him mark it because he’s marking the stupidest things and I just want this shit out the door, I change the order and I still get shit from the person who was fighting to have them that way all along. I mean, HONESTLY?!?
So, I get this BONK after I think I got an email about it and didn’t respond right away and I just turned around and said if she wanted things changed just to tell them to change it.
That wasn’t enough… seriously!
So, instead of just doing that there were MORE BONKS with these comments trying to goad and I just said that everyone has an opinion and she should do what she wants, it doesn’t matter what I think anyway (which it really doesn’t) so do it. This apparently now is a problem because I’m not rising to the occasion and I’m told I’m being unfair.
Whatever.
Just do it, I guess the idea was for us to have some kind of back and forth and to force me to be the one to do it. Who knows but really who gives a flying fuck.
UNFAIR?
I literally laughed out loud at that because my next thought was that LIFE IS UNFAIR! It’s UNFAIR that I should have to put up with such stupidity when my time on the planet gets shorter by the second. But, I was laughing so there’s that.
Mind you, I try desperately to see the good in people but I’m just not going to play games.
Then, over the weekend I was watching Jamie Lee Curtis being interviewed on 60 Minutes and she was talking about her career including her Oscar winning performance as Deirdre Beaubeirdre. Now, when I first was watching the movie? I honestly did not know that it was Jamie Lee Curtis… she had done such a good job in the role that I didn’t see her at all.
But she got to talking about the character and it was when she did that she struck a chord, ºWe all know Deirdre. She’s a woman who’s not loved. She’s a woman who uses her power in her job to control people because she has no love in her life. ”
Much as I hate to say it, as soon as she said it, I immediately thought of my co-worker. The same person who told me of going to a movie with a friend last summer and the friend getting up in the middle of the film and just abandoning her in the movie theater.
No comments:
Post a Comment